More info about travel to Venice: http://www.ricksteves.com/europe/italy/venice Among Europe’s churches, the Byzantine marvel of St. Mark’s stands alone. After the saint’s remains were smuggled here in 828, Venice took his symbol (the winged lion) as their own. Built with pillaged materials, some describe the church’s eclectic style as “Early Ransack.” The outside is a riot of domes, columns, and statues; the interior is covered with mosaics, colored marbles, and oriental treasures. #ricksteveseurope #ricksteves #venice
Visit http://www.ricksteves.com for more information about this destination and other destinations in Europe.
Check out more Rick Steves’ Europe travel resources:
• “Rick Steves’ Europe” public television series: https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/video/tv-show
• “Travel with Rick Steves” public radio program: https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/audio/radio
• European Tours: https://www.ricksteves.com/tours
• Guidebooks: https://store.ricksteves.com/shop/guidebooks
• Travel Gear: https://store.ricksteves.com/shop/
• Travel Classes: https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/video/travel-talks
• Rick Steves Audio Europe App: https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/audio/audio-europe
Rick Steves, America’s most respected authority on European travel, writes European travel guidebooks, and hosts travel shows on public television and public radio.